Mama's little helper


I'm thrilled to have a new helper in the kitchen. It all started in the wintertime when Kira "helped" me bake cookies, by cutting out cookies and putting sprinkles on them. We continued this activity several times at home just the 2 of us, or when other kids came over for play dates. Here we are in February, baking Winnie the Pooh and friends cookies.

As the months progressed and Calvin began demanding more of my attention, Mark took over baking duties with Kira, and they prepared various versions of Rice Krispy squares, much to the delight of everyone who devoured them.

Over the past 2 weeks, Kira has taken on a keen interest in helping with all kinds of food preparation. In fact, when I was starting to bake a cake the other day, she ran to the bathroom where we keep our stepstool. Mark brought my attention to the squeaky dragging sound approaching. Kira was bringing the stool over so she could observe / help, and I gladly welcomed her participation. As a bonus, I let her lick the beater paddles. Much more enthusiasm ensued a couple of days later, when I baked muffins and she got to lick the spatula. Thankfully, her enthusiasm wasn't limited only to sweets. Here is Kira last week, helping me bread the fish I prepared for supper. Doesn't she look like a little pro?


And remember the 20 pounds of tomatoes we picked at the organic farm (see previous blog post)? Well, here's Kira squishing tomatoes with a "tomato squisher" (aka potato masher) to make a pot of tomato sauce (this yielded a lovely 4 jars of sauce which will hopefully take us into the fall / wintertime).


Kira is not mama's helper only in the kitchen. As you'll see in the video below, she's (sometimes) keen on "helping" feed Calvin. It's quite hilarious, really. Sometimes Calvin is frustrated when the food doesn't quite reach his mouth, or when Kira takes too long delivering the spoon to his mouth. Sometimes I lose patience and take the spoon from her when I see food dripping off the spoon or off of Calvin's chin. But for the most part, when Kira wants to help, I try to let her. And I see her continuing this role-play with her dolls. Watch as Kira cracks up when she gets cereal on Calvin's nose by accident. Calvin doesn't get what's so funny...


Comments