An outing to Funtopia!



I took the kids to Funtopia for the first time today. Finally, a play space for kids on the South Shore! Kira had a great time, and she met lots of old and new faces there. She was hesitant at first, but eventually was climbing around everywhere and having a ball! Lots of climbing, crawling and sliding spaces. It's brightly coloured, clean, safe, and well staffed. Everything on the play structures is padded and lots of netting ensures no accidental falls. And as is typical in this type of facility, there is a strict no-shoes policy which keeps it clean and safe. Kira managed to charm my friend Jeanne into climbing, crawling and sliding with her. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on-hand to snap photos of that cute sight! Next time! Here's a photo of Kira climbing up the padded "stairway" to the upper play level.


There was also a room for babies and young ones, ideal for Calvin. However, because Kira definitely is of an age where she needs constant supervision, Calvin didn't benefit from the outing this time around. Maybe I'll be able to take him on his own if Kira registers for a class at le Petit Gym next door, this fall or winter.

The food was pretty good, and they had a varied and healthy selection (alongside other not-so-healthy choices). The prices were fair, but it made for an expensive outing because of course, you aren't allowed to take your own food and there were vending machines (tempting for kids - good marketing!) everywhere. My only complaints about the food might be that there wasn't a significant vegetarian selection (I ordered a smoked salmon sandwich and they had to check that they had smoked salmon in their kitchen before ringing it in, because nobody ever orders it! At least I eat fish; being a non-fish eater would have proven even more difficult.). The other difficulty was in the fact that I'm still off of dairy because of Calvin's bovine protein sensitivity. So completely not thinking, I ordered the smoked salmon sandwich but of course what was in there? Cream cheese! I felt too badly return it, so I scraped off the cream cheese as well as I could. I might talk to them about this for a future visit - maybe they'll let me take my own sandwich just until Calvin is able to handle dairy (fingers crossed that he'll outgrow the sensitivity soon!).

Kira somehow coerced me into climbing up the structure with her (imagine me doing that with Calvin in his baby wrap hanging off my chest) and that's when I snapped this shot of her running through one of the tiny "hallways" with a bunch of kids rolling a big ball in the same direction following her.

It was a nice way to spend an overcast day. Of course, I would still opt for a park or outdoor excursion on a clear day. We have to do everything we can to enjoy our short summer season!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Hisako,

My name is Lyne, I am the manager at Funtopia.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your Funtopia outing with the blogging world. I hadn't come across it before as I am just beginning to explore this online world and all the possibilities it holds.

I'm glad Kira had fun. I guess it has been over a year since you wrote your blog, I hope you have been back since then now that Calvin is old enough to enjoy Funtopia aswell.

I just wanted to let you know that if you are still worried about food or if anybody else out there has allergies, they can just give us a call before coming to ask us for permission to bring certain foods in due to allergies :)

Well, thanks again and like I said, I am just starting to explore the online possibilities and I just created a Facebook page for Funtopia. If you are on Facebook you can become a Fan of Funtopia! We'll keep you posted on upcoming events and promotions :)

I hope to see you sometime soon at Funtopia. Ask for me when you come in :)

Lyne